Learn to Fly Course User GuideUpdated a year ago
Welcome to Sporty’s Learn to Fly Course, your complete training companion for the Private, Recreational and Sport pilot certificate.
This comprehensive training course is designed to prepare you for your flight training as well as the FAA written, oral, and flight tests. The app allows you to access content from the Video Training, Test Prep, Maneuvers and Resources sections. After purchasing full access, you’ll gain access to all training modules and the option to receive your FAA written exam endorsement and FAA WINGS credit.
Please take a moment to read the information contained in this guide as it is intended to explain the contents of your course and help you get the most out of your flight training experience.
Purchasing access to Sporty’s Learn to Fly Course
You can purchase full access to the Learn to Fly Course from the Pilot Training App home screen by first tapping the Learn to Fly Course name, and then select the Purchase button. After confirming the in-app purchase selection and entering your Apple ID and password, the credit card associated with your Apple App Store account will be billed for the one-time course fee.
Sporty’s Pilot Training app is compatible with both iPhone and iPad and can be accessed from multiple devices. To access a purchased course from a second device, download the Pilot Training app from the App Store, tap on the Learn to Fly Course and use the Restore Purchase option.
If you purchased access to the Learn to Fly Course directly from Sporty’s, tap the menu button at the top right of the Learn to Fly Course home screen and select Sign In from the list of menu options.
Keeping your course progress in sync
In order for your video and test score progress to remain in sync between multiple mobile devices, you must be signed in to the Pilot Training app with your Sporty’s Account. You can sign into your account using the Sign In button at the top right of the home screen, or Sign In from the About screen when actively using a course.
If you do not have a Sporty’s Account, you can create a free account at any time by tapping the menu button at the top right of the Learn to Fly Course home screen and select Register from the list of menu options.
For help with purchasing a course or managing your Sporty’s Account, use the Contact Customer Service function from the About menu to get in touch with a Sporty’s representative.
Choose your Learn to Fly path: Private, Recreational or Sport Pilot
Sporty’s Learn to Fly Course is delivered in a modular format with learning tracks for Private, Recreational, or Sport Pilot. When you first launch the Learn to Fly Course from the home screen, you’ll be prompted to select one of the course options and the course will remember your preference each time you open the app.
To select an alternate learning track, tap the menu button at the top right of the Learn to Fly Course home screen, and select a training option from the menu (Private, Recreational or Sport).
NOTE: The content and layout of each course is unique, and your video and test score progress is tracked within each course separately.
To view a video segment, select the Video Training option from the row of blue buttons at the top of the screen. The videos are organized into chapters, starting with basic pilot training content in Chapter 1, and concludes with advanced aviation topics and checkride preparation in the final chapter.
Downloading video segments - The video training in each chapter requires an internet connection to play, or you can download segments to your device for offline viewing by tapping the blue arrow download button to the right of the segment name.
After a video has been saved, a green checkmark will appear to the right of the segment name. To remove an individual video from your device, press the green check mark to the right of the segment name. You can delete all downloaded videos from the current chapter to free up storage space while in the Video Training section of the app by pressing the menu button in the top right of the screen and selecting the option to Remove Downloaded Videos.
Review quizzes - You'll have the option to take a short review quiz after viewing certain video segments. At the end of the video an alert will appear asking if you’d like to take the quiz, or you can press the blue Review Quiz button at any time to launch the quiz.
NOTE: results from these optional quizzes are not saved or recorded in the Private Pilot Progress test history.
Video training progress is tracked with white checkmark indicators in the top right corner of each video section. If you select a segment that has not been viewed in its entirety, the segment will begin playing at the point where you let off.
A snapshot of total video progress can be seen in the main menu as a %. To be eligible for the written exam endorsement, all video training segments must be viewed.
Test Prep Help
To begin a test prep session, select the Test Prep option from the row of blue buttons at the top of the screen. Sporty's written test prep program features two modes of operation. Use New Study Session to select specific areas of study or study all available questions. Study Sessions will be further divied into six different types. Once the desired type is chosen you can then begin to study in a traditional multiple choice format or as flashcards. Flashcard mode will allow you to answer questions without seeing any answer choices in a self-graded environment.
Practice Test mode will provide a random mix of question to provide a simulated exam. Two tests with a minimum score of 80% are required for the written exam endorsement.
At any time while in a session you can press the Menu button in the top right corner, and select Save and Quit to save your current progress and finish later. To resume a session, press the Resume/Review Sessions button on the Test Prep mode selection screen. You can also review completed sessions here as well--press the blue Review button to view all the questions and your answer selections from that session.
The highest two Test Prep scores of 80% or greater will automatically be displayed at the top of the Learn to Fly Course home screen.
You’ll use the Flight Maneuvers Guide in the Learn to Fly Course in preparation for your flight lessons, to study a 3D animation and step-by-step instructions on how to complete each procedure. To view the Flight Maneuvers Guide, select the Maneuvers option from the row of blue buttons at the top of the screen.
Each maneuver includes a narrated animation that provides visual instruction on how to complete the task, and a description describing the steps to fly the maneuver as well as common errors. The maneuvers require an internet connection to play, or you can download segments to your device for offline viewing by using the blue arrow download button to the right of the segment name.
After a video has been saved, a green checkmark will appear to the right of the segment name. To remove an individual video from your device, press the green check mark to the right of the segment name.
Training Course Outline Help
The Training Course Outline (Syllabus) is located in the Resources section of the app and serves as the bridge between your self-study and the training with your instructor in the aircraft. It allows you to maintain a record of your flight experience.
Each lesson includes objectives, content, completion standards and an optional required study section for additional information. Utilizing the Training Course Outline will ensure that information is presented in a logical sequence and that you’ve met all of the training requirements.
Checkride Prep Help
Checkride Prep Flashcards was designed to help you test your aviation knowledge in preparation for the oral exam segment of your FAA practical test. After selecting a study mode, you'll be presented with a series of questions, simulating what the examiner will ask you during the checkride.
The FAA Checkride Tips and Tricks is an informative video from a Designated Pilot examiner with an inside perspective on what to expect during your checkride.
The Interactive Checklist is a helpful form to ensure you have completed and aquired all the neccessary skills and items required to schedule and complete your FAA checkride.
The Commercial Pilot ACS (Airman Certification Standards is an FAA outline of all the knowledge and skills areas you need to know for the checkride. .
The interactive Private Pilot ACS (Airman Certification Standards) and Recreational/Sport PTS (Practical Test Standards) section is an FAA outline of all the knowledge and skills areas you need to know for the checkride.
To make your training and preparation easier, the ACS/PTS is cross-referenced to the appropriate video segment for review. To view the video, click on the video icon in the Video Review section of each task.
NOTE: If you are NOT connected to the internet, the video option will only play downloaded video segments.
Earning your knowledge test endorsement
After viewing all the video for a particular course and earning two test scores of 80% or higher, the Certificates button at the top of the Learn to Fly Course home screen will unlock, allowing you to request your knowledge test endorsement. After completing the request form, a copy of the endorsement will be emailed to you. It will also be viewable from the Certificates section of the app.
FAA WINGS Credit
After viewing all the video for a particular course and earning two test scores of 80% or higher, the Certificates button at the top of the Learn to Fly Course home screen will unlock, allowing you to request FAA WINGS credit for successfully completing the course. To receive credit, you will first need to register for a free account at FAASafety.gov. Complete the request form in the section of the Learn to Fly Course, making sure to enter the same email address as your registered FAA Safety account.
How to Get the Most Out of Your Learn to Fly App
Customize Your Course. Sporty’s Learn to Fly Course is available as a complete Private pilot training package or as a customizable, modular training system with options that include Sport and Recreational pilot.
- View the flight training video segments appropriate to your course of training from start to finish. This will provide a complete overview of the course and show you what you can expect during your flight training.
- Once you’ve found an instructor, show him the applicable Training Course Outline (syllabus) and let him know you’d like to use this during your flight training. This comprehensive syllabus will help you get the most out of Sporty’s Complete Flight Training Course (the syllabus PDF is also available at sportys.com/pilotshop/syllabus)
- Watch the assigned video segments. Real-world footage gives you a "pilot’s-eye-view" of everything you’ll see in the airplane, and state-of-the-art 3D graphics and special effects make each subject or maneuver easy to understand.
- Review the Interactive Maneuvers when you and your instructor are ready to fly. This animated maneuver with detailed, text description are the same ones you are about to practice in the airplane.
- After each lesson, use the TCO/syllabus to evaluate the flight. There is plenty of room for your instructor to evaluate your performance and to make comments and suggestions for areas that may need additional study or practice. You and your instructor should also take time to briefly discuss the next lesson so each of you can be completely prepared.
- Throughout your training, review the Interactive ACS/PTS to measure your current performance against the standards that will be expected by the FAA during your flight test. Remember that you will NOT likely meet these standards at the beginning of your training, so don’t get discouraged. Earning a pilot certificate takes time, and Sporty’s Complete Learn to Fly App (along with an excellent instructor) will be with you every step of the way.
- Sporty’s written test prep program is an integrated component of the app, so you can study for the written test before you start flight training or as you take lessons. This program allows you to take randomly generated practice tests just like the real exam, and create customized study sessions. Our exclusive flash card function allows you to answer questions without seeing the answers, to truly test your knowledge.
- About the FAA written exam. Once you have completed the video training and have accomplished two practice tests with a minimum score of 80% using the online test prep program, you are eligible to receive your endorsement from Sporty’s to take your written exam at a FAA testing center. Select "written exam endorsement" from the Certificates menu.
- Receive FAA WINGS credit. Once you have completed the video training and have accomplished two practice tests with a minimum score of 80% using the online test prep program, you are eligible to receive FAA WINGS credit through FAASafety.gov using your FAA WINGS account. Select "WINGS credit" from the Certificates menu and be sure an account has been established through FAASafety.gov.
- Finally, your flight test. Only your CFI will know when you are prepared to take your flight test. Once he feels you are ready, he will recommend you for this exam which includes an oral and a flight evaluation. After successful completion of your checkride, you will be an FAA licensed pilot. Congratulations!